Wednesday, September 1, 2010

You sleep a lot, no?

12:30 PM Edinburgh time
6:30 AM St. Louis time
5:30 AM Spearfish time

I slept for 14 hours straight last night.  I went to bed at 9, feeling really lame but knowing I needed more sleep than usual, and set the alarm on my (new!) cell phone for 7 AM, thinking 10 hours should be plenty.  Apparently not.  Slept right through the alarm and woke up at 11 AM.  Fourteen hours.  I don't think I've slept that long ever in my lifeMy two French roommates (the arguing ones from yesterday) were the only ones still there, and one of them finally spoke to me while I was staggering around wondering what happened waiting for the other one to get out of the bathroom.  The first thing she said to me?  "You sleep...a lot, no?"  Yes.  Yes, apparently I do.  But the next thing she asked was if I had just arrived yesterday, and I said yes, and she asked where I was from, and I said the US, and she seemed like she appreciated how long that must have taken.  So I think she understood why exactly it was that I slept so much.  Hopefully.  Her English was good, but pretty broken.  I found out that she and her friend are from Paris, and they've been traveling for eight days.  She told me they're going to Inverness tomorrow, and in my sleepy haze I completely forgot that I'm going to Inverness tomorrow, too, so I think I said I was going there on Sunday or something.  Which is completely a lie (unintentional, but still).  Hopefully I don't see them there.  That could be awkward.

I'm in Starbucks again.  So much for my no-Starbucks rule.  I really wouldn't be, except that it's the only place I can get free, reliable internet.  The computer in my hostel is terrible, and anywhere else is £1 for a half hour.  That's about $1.50.  No, thanks.  I'll just pay the extra 50 pence and have a coffee and not be time-limited.  Also, Starbucks is a great place for people-watching.  I really need to not stare at people, but it's just so interesting.  People in Edinburgh seem to collectively have a really great fashion sense.  Even the guys.  But the best part is the children.  Even the little kids are all dressed really adorably.  And the fact that they have little mini-Scottish accents is absolutely beyond adorable.  Probably all these people think I'm stalking their children because I just sit there accidentally staring at them being adorable.  But I swear I'm not.  Well...not in a bad way.

My American accent sounds really weird to me every time I speak now.  Talking to the French girl was bizarre because my accent was so pronounced next to hers.  I'd never be able to accurately imitate a Scottish or even British accent, but I've figured out how to say "sorry" - the word I find myself saying most often, mostly when I bump into people or take too long finding the right change or totally misunderstand someone (so, every five-ish minutes) - in a way that sounds maybe possibly almost Scottish if I mumble or Canadian at the least.  I was laughing with someone this summer about how I should really take on a Canadian accent while I'm here...well, I'm getting close.  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love the title of the post. Perfect lol. But ya I'm surprised you didn't go to bed sooner than 9 given your flight

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS if there is any way to include an audio file in your postings, I think we need to hear your budding accent

    ReplyDelete