Saturday, September 18, 2010

Deep breath.

Okay.  We're all right.  It worked out.  In fact, it worked out perfectly - I'm in two philosophy classes, which will finish out that portion of my major (*cue angel chorus*), and two psychology classes which will combinedly give me credit for Social Psych.  I am delighted.  Thanks, God.

I also found the farmers' market today!  (Of course, I didn't find it on my first try, because when has that ever happened, but after just a little bit of wandering I ended up in the right place.)  Deeeelightful.  I now have carrots, cucumbers, runner beans, tomatoes, raspberries, and blackberries.  Yummy.  As well as a confirmed source for fresh bread, pumpkins (!!!!), all manner of fresh fall fruit, and ostrich sausage.  I was really worried about finding that last one.

As previously mentioned, classes start Monday.  This means I have to actually start doing things.  Oh...but did I mention I only have class on Tuesdays and Thursdays?  Haha.  Yeah.  So I have four-day weekends.  Whut up.  I am actually really excited for my classes, though.  So I have Language and the Natural Mind (least favorite), Philosophy of Time (OMG how cool is that)(plus it's taught by my advisor who seems very nice), Social Psychology (standard), and Social Judgment and Decision Making (um SWEET.  Plus only half a semester long.  Awww yeah.)

Oh wow I haven't even really talked about this week in general at all I guess.  Okay, so this week has been...FRESHERS' WEEK!  Basically like our Freshman Orientation, except longer and with more alcohol.  (The drinking age here is eighteen, so virtually all of the freshers can drink, meaning 90% of the people on campus handing out fliers are from pubs and clubs.  Also, our flat is on the main club street.  Going to bed is very loud.)  I've gone to some of the events, but really only the ones that are directly useful and/or fun for me.  I did Freshman Orientation once; I'm pretty much done with that experience.  So I've watched almost an entire season of Friends, made my flat feel sufficiently like home, and thoroughly explored campus and the entire surrounding area.  One event I did attend, however (in addition to all the Christian Union events I've been to), was the Societies Fair (read: Activities Fair).  It was weird.  I think I went near the end of the day, but still...the rooms (it was so big they had multiple locations) were packed with people and tables, but I literally had to coax information out of anyone sitting at a table.  Most of them acted like they really couldn't care less whether or not I joined their society.  Um, way to attract people.  Fortunately for them, I'm not a self-conscious freshman who would be put off by their seeming rejection.  I knew which societies I wanted to know more about, and so I pressed as much information out of the poor table people as possible and then just put my name on their mailing list.  Societies I will now receive information from: the Christian Union, the Female Voice Choir (aka the non-audition choir), the Create Society (they do random crafts once a week, soooo yes), the Fashion and Textiles Society (I really have no idea what they do, but there was no one actually at the table to tell me, so I'll just see what kind of emails I get), the Modern Dance Society (they do ballet, jazz, hip hop, break dancing, and modern), and, most importantly, the New Scotland Country Dance Society (highland dancing ftw).  Obviously I'm not going to actually join all of those, but I figure at least a few events from each group will be interesting enough to actually go to.  Yay for no-strings-attached Stuff To Do!

So anyway.  That's pretty much all I know for now.  I'd love to hear about everyone else's lives!  Shoot me an email any time.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like your schedule will be fairly interesting. Philosophy of time sounds really cool, though kinda more of a physics question.

    I didn't see anything about piano or harpsichord...anything happening there?

    Also which season of Friends are you now finished (or finishing) with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know, I'm excited for that one. It's advertised as suitable for "all levels of interest and aptitude in philosophy" or something like that. Um, pick me. Also, remember our huge discussion about time? We're going to have round two of that when I'm done with this class.

    Yeah, I just heard back from the harpsichord lady - as soon as I set something up with her I'll be taking lessons!! Eeeeeee!!

    Season 8. Omg it's been dramatic. Heart. Also, I can't believe I only have two seasons to go!! If by any chance I work through the next two seasons this semester, though, I'll save the last episode and we should have a finale-watching party thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol if that is your plan you may wanna save the last several episodes...I don't think I could make you save just the 1 episode

    ReplyDelete