Friday, September 10, 2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

6:30 pm Stranraer, Scotland
12:30 pm St. Louis
11:30 am Spearfish

...Except for actually trains, ferries, and buses.  I'm chilling in the ferry terminal in Stranraer (a.k.a. Nowhere), Scotland, waiting for my bus to Edinburgh.  I've been here since 4:20, and my bus doesn't leave until 7:30.  I had originally considered going around and exploring the city a little, but this place is A) not really anything you could call a city and B) more than a little dodgy.  ("Dodgy" is my new word.  I heard it from an Australian at breakfast this morning and am a fan.  Heh.)  Sooo I've been sitting in the weird terminal for two hours battling the wi-fi and realizing I'm probably not supposed to sit here this long.  Oh, well.  Nobody's done anything about it so far.

(PS I have no idea how to say the name of this town - someone said it on the ferry and it sounded vaguely like Schtruuhnroar or something like that.  So I'm going to go with my standard and just avoid saying it.)

Sooo I set off the smoke alarm at my hostel this morning.  Bahahaha.  It wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.  I was at breakfast (This hostel had free breakfast!!  Best hostel ever.) making toast, and the first time the toast went through the toaster (it was one of those cool conveyor-belt-style toasters) it didn't get toasty enough, so I sent it back through.  You know what happened.  I was a little concerned about the amount of smoke coming out, but it wasn't that bad, so I waved it away and threw my charcoally toast in the garbage and started over.  It took a couple of minutes for the thing to go off, so when it did and everyone else was looking around confusedly I just did the same thing.  It didn't go off for very long either, so I continued with my breakfast like nothing had happened.  Nobody seemed to suspect anything.  Haha.  It was kind of hilarious.

Doo doo doo.  Only an hour until my bus.  And then four more hours and EDINBURGH!!  I'm very excited to be back in that lovely city.

No comments:

Post a Comment