Friday, September 3, 2010

Say what?

1:30pm Inverness
7:30am St. Louis
6:30am Spearfish

I'm in Inverness!  About 30 minutes after I checked out of my hostel, I found a bus to the Edinburgh bus station and bought a one-way ticket to Inverness.  It was about a four-hour ride, and I slept part of the way even though I didn't want to - the scenery was incredible.  I wish I was more poetic so I could adequately describe it to you.  There were rolling purple (yes, purple) hills, massive trees, adorable farmland, sparkling lochs...so. pretty.

So I'm kind of way up in the highlands now - Inverness is "The City in the Highlands" - and the accents up here are basically another language.  I can literally be standing right next to two people having a conversation and be completely unable to understand them.  When I walk past someone on the street and they say something, they could be talking to me.  I now use "Sorry" mainly as a question when I need someone to repeat themselves.  So...at least once in every conversation.

I had my first fish and chips last night.  It was sooooo good.  The Scottish are excellent at frying things.  Literally the best french fries I've ever had.  Good thing I'm walking so much - this food could be my downfall.

I'm leaving now for a boat tour of Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle!!  I'm super excited.  Tomorrow I'm planning on taking a bus up to Ullapool, in the northern highlands, for some really cool hiking.  I have a ton of fun stories, but no time to tell them now.  More later!

Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment