Saturday, October 16, 2010

British s'mores

We made s'mores tonight!!  My flatmates made so much fun of how excited I was.  Whatever, they're awesome.  They weren't quite as good as American s'mores, but they served their gooey chocolatey purpose.  They don't have graham crackers here (!!!), so we had to use digestives, which are these weird half-sweet, half-oaty biscuit/cookie things that the British are crazy about.  (I admit with some disgruntlement that they actually worked way better than I thought.)  The marshmallows were smaller and denser than normal ones (plus half of them were pink?), and the chocolate bar was thick and didn't break into the right size pieces.  And obviously we don't have an open flame, so we tried to roast them on forks in our grill (broiler, basically).  Predictably, that didn't work, so we put them on the digestives on the grill tray and let them get smooshy (due to the difference in consistency, they melted rather than toasted), and then put the chocolate on top to melt for a minute, and then burned our fingers pulling them out and squishing the other digestive on top.  It was all weird, but despite all of it they were totally close enough and SO delicious.  Germany, who we were attempting to expose to this uniquely North American treat, was only mildly impressed.  Oh, well, it was sort of fabulous.

This week has been massively uneventful.  This weekend is the first in almost a month where I'm not off somewhere, so I didn't spend the week up to my ears in train tickets and hostel bookings.  I got to practice harpsichord two days, which was blissful.  I kind of almost have a Bach prelude and fugue down.  Other than that, I decided I should spend my time doing some relatively productive things...I've actually started reading for my classes, finally, and I've been doing some work for my lab at home as well.  I've also started listening to NPR occasionally.  Heh heh.  It's pathetic how little I know about any news at any time, so even though it makes me feel like a dork, it's awesome to know what's going on.

I took a bunch of pictures of campus this week, but Facebook isn't letting me upload them.  I'll keep working on it.  It's kind of gorgeous here.  Just saying.

I've started getting emails about next semester!  It's so intimidating.  I register for classes in exactly a month - WHAT??  (I've totally started playing around with the registration worksheet.  That thing is just too entertaining.)  That means I have a little over two months left.  It's so weird...it still feels a little like I just got here, but I'm almost halfway through.  Yikes.  Still so much to do!

Tomorrow I'm trying my third church.  Even if this one doesn't rock my world or anything, I think I'm going to stick with it simply because I don't have that much time left and I actually know people who go to this one.  Unless it's awful.  In which case I'll go back to one I already visited.

Also tomorrow: the Royal Botanic Gardens!  Our flat is collectively on a mission to actually see the city.  I'm excited.  Flowers and fall foliage - what's not to love??

I feel like I should have cooler things to say.  Sorry.  I'll try to do more epic things in the coming days.

All my love!

More British vocab words:
pissed = drunk (NOT angry.  You can imagine the confusion this creates.)
chuffed = happy
hoover = vacuum
aubergine = eggplant
sultana = raisin

No comments:

Post a Comment